There are so many wonderful festivals in Galax throughout the year and we welcome folks to make CCSA part of their festival experience by visiting our facility at 100 N. Main St. Take a tour; learn about our programming; sign up for our email list to receive our seasonal online newsletter with exciting new classes, and shop from a wonderful variety of local handmade arts and crafts in our Dixon Vault Gift Galley. We often have exciting things going on at CCSA during festivals, including artisan demonstrations and hands-on activities for the whole family! CCSA also hosts yearly events for the general public as well as our wonderful volunteers and supporters. There’s always something going on in Galax and there’s always exciting stuff happening at CCSA! Check the links below for more information about all these events.
Crooked Road Mountains of Music Homecoming
June 12, 2015–June 20, 2015
The Mountains of Music Homecoming is a 9 day, region-wide music festival all along the Crooked Road, June 12 to June 20, 2015. The Homecoming includes over 30 major concerts held throughout the region, and even more Cultural Experiences held in individual communities to give visitors and local people a true "taste" of each community within the region. These Cultural Experiences include community meals, art exhibits, nature walks, lectures, luthier demonstrations, artisan demos, farm tours, movie events, and music events including concerts, jams, and other musicial programs.
Chestnut Creek School of the Arts is planning several events during the Homecoming:
- An exhibit about the Stoneman Family, June 12-20
- "Meet the Instruments" in our lobby during Leaf and String on Saturday, June 13, 11:00-3:00
- Artists Demonstrations during Leaf and String, Friday and Saturday, June 12 and 13
- Showings at the Rex Theater of the videos created during Fiddlers Week last year. Two videos each day Monday - Thursday at 11:00 am and 4:00 pm. The videos include:
- Bluegrass and Old-time Singing Styles
- Bluegrass and Old-time Fiddle Styles
- Tales From the Field
- What Gives an Instrument its Sound?
- Music and Dance of SW Virginia presentation and workshop, Friday, June 19, 10:30 am am at the Rex
- Mini-Artists Market throughout the week
Please come join us for these events!